Become a KY Ready Corps Service Site!
Does your organization need assistance initiating or completing a special project? Does it have an emergency/disaster readiness/resilience/response component -- including any element of response/recovery to COVID-19? Consider hosting one or more AmeriCorps KY Ready Corps Members to help! We GET THINGS DONE!
WHAT IS AMERICORPS?
AmeriCorps is a national community service program, created in 1994, that provides tens of thousands of Americans opportunities to gain professional development and give back to their communities. AmeriCorps members serve in non-profits, public agencies and faith-based organizations on projects that focus on one or more community needs, including disaster services. AmeriCorps programs are funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) and Serve Kentucky, our state program office.
WHAT IS KY READY CORPS?
KY READY Corps is a Kentucky state-wide disaster readiness, resilience and response initiative, focused on helping communities and their vulnerable populations successfully respond to a crisis, emergency or disaster. KY READY Corps is funded through grants received from CNCS and overseen by Serve Kentucky in Frankfort, along with more than twenty additional AmeriCorps programs across the state.
KY READY Corps partners with non-profit and volunteer organizations, government and educational agencies that function as service sites, placing our talented, service-conscious members in projects that help them meet unmet needs in emergency and disaster services. Participation requires time and other committments from both the partner site and the AmeriCorps KY READY Corps member, but there is currently NO FINANCIAL COST to sites for hosting one or more of our members.
WHO ARE KY READY CORPS MEMBERS?
Our AmeriCorps members are individuals and college students with a wide range of experience and from many academic disciplines, who choose to serve part-time, between 15 and 25 service hour per week, depending on the service slots of 300, 450 and 675 hours. KY READY Corps members are volunteers committed to service, engaged in projects that are both direct service and capacity building and involve an aspect of readiness, resilience or response initiatives to help communities and the vulnerable individuals in them, including response to the recent COVID-19 crisis.
WHAT DO KY READY CORPS MEMBERS DO?
KY Ready Corps projects fall into three general categories: education and outreach, preparedness and assessments, or volunteer coordination and support, and are tailored to the needs of the service site. Many current site projects are focused on response to the current COVID-19 crisis.
KY Ready Corps Member COVID-19 response activities:
- Food Assistance
- Public Health Education
- Support for isolation and quarantine activities, including coordinating grocery and prescription delivery, locating resources, and managing referrals
- Work that furthers state and local health departments, including COVID-19 vaccine distribution support
- Increase capacity of nonprofit and community organizations to respond to immediate needs of individuals affected by COVID-19
Other possible KY Ready Corps activities:
- Provide health information to vulnerable populations;
- Create and deliver emergency/disaster readiness and resilience curriculum;
- Survey and assess individual and organizational emergency/disaster readiness;
- Strengthen volunteer management and recruitment;
- Conduct research and gather public health and emergency management information;
- Assist in the development of new programs or services;
- Develop collaborative relationships with other organizations.
Primary Expectations of Service Sites:
- Completion of required AmeriCorps Site Supervisor Orientation Training
- Weekly supervision of KY READY Corps Member
- Necessary on-site and project training for KY READY Corps Member
- Space and tools to successfully complete the project, including necessary travel support (vehicles or mileage reimbursement) when members serve off-site
- Verification and approval of member(s) electronic time sheets
- Promotion of AmeriCorps and the KY READY Corps program, including assistance with KY READY Corps Member recruitment
Deadline for 2021 Late Spring/Summer Project Proposals is April 30, 2021