What is KY READY Corps?
The Kentucky Students for Disaster Readiness and Resiliency Corps (KY READY Corps) is a part-time, state-wide AmeriCorps program that engages indivduals in support of local community readiness and resiliency initiatives with a focus on reducing social vulnerabilities to disasters. Members serve with agencies and organizations that help vulnerable individuals to be ready when emergencies and disasters strike, and to recover better from emergencies and disasters like the current COVID-19 crisis.
Member projects fall into three broad categories that are tailored to needs at specific service sites:
- Community Education and Outreach
- Preparedness Assessment and Planning
- Volunteer Coordination and Support
Learn more about AmeriCorps HERE.
Examples of KY READY Corps site projects:
- Health Departments: Assistance with COVID-19 response; gain information about and improve access to underserved populations, provide education and training about health crises to increase community resiliency, helping staff train and work with Medical Reserve Corps.
- Faith Based Organizations Responding to Emergencies and Disasters: Responding to the COVID-19 crisis, researching, creating and providing materials pertaining to youth education on preparedness, assisting those that respond to emergencies and disasters with volunteer management and recruitment.
- Volunteer Organizations Active in Disasters and Emergency Management Departments: Response to COVID-19 crisis, including development of public health safety guidance for organizations that respond to disasters, conduct outreach activities to improve recruitment and communication, recruit new individuals and organizations; assist with public outreach of all kinds; develop written plans for emergency response, mitigation and outreach.
- Food Pantries: Help staff respond to food insecurity due to the COVID-19 crisis, survey vulnerable populations in the area on preparedness; prepare emergency and disaster plans and educational events.
- Youth Groups and Associations: Educating youth about family safety due to the COVID-19 crisis, assessing camps and youth outreach centers for preparedness in case of an emergency or disaster, providing education programs on response, preparedness and resilience.
Recent and current KY READY Corps Site Partners include:
- Mercer County, Barren River District, Green River District and Whitley County Health Departments
- Daviess and Metcalfe County Emergency Management Agencies
- Catholic Action Center of Lexington, Fayette and Garrard counties
- Food banks and pantries in Fayette and Pike counties
- University and College public safety departments
- EKU College of Justice and Safety