What is KY READY Corps?
The Kentucky Students for Disaster Readiness and Resiliency Corps (KY READY Corps) is a part-time, state-wide AmeriCorps program that engages college students and recent college graduates in support of local community readiness and resiliency initiatives with a focus on reducing social vulnerabilities to disasters. Members serve with agencies and organizations that help vulnerable individuals such as youth and young adults, people with disabilities, including the elderly, and individuals with English literacy and proficiency barriers to be ready when emergencies and disasters strike, and to recover better from emergencies and disasters.
Member projects fall into three broad categories:
- Community Education and Outreach
- Preparedness Assessment and Planning
- Volunteer Coordination and Support
Learn more about AmeriCorps HERE.
Examples of KY READY Corps site projects:
- Health Departments: Gain information about and improve access to underserved populations, provide education and training about health crises to increase community resiliency, helping staff train and otherwise work with Medical Reserve Corps.
- Faith Based Organizations Responding to Emergencies and Disasters: Researching, creating and providing materials pertaining to youth education on preparedness, assisting those that respond to disasters with volunteer management and recruitment.
- Volunteer Organizations Active in Disasters or Emergency Management Departments: Conduct outreach activities to improve recruitment and communication, recruit new individuals and organizations; assist with public outreach; develop written plans for response, mitigation and outreach.
- Food Pantries: Survey vulnerable popoulations in the area on preparedness; prepare emergency and disaster plans and educational events; help staff respond to immediate emergency food needs within the community.
- Refugee and Cultural Community Centers: Assistance with partner organizations providing appropriate connections, information and education to newcomer on emergency and disaster preparedness, and where to access information in the event of a major community crisis.
- Youth Groups and Associations: Assessing camps and outreach centers for preparedness in case of an emergency or disaster, providing education programs on preparedness and resilience.
2018-2019 KY READY Corps Site Partners include:
- American Red Cross
- Christian Appalachian Project
- Mercer and Barren River Health Departments
- Daviess and Metcalf County Emergency Management
- Food Banks in Lexington and Pikeville
- EKU Public Safety
- EKU College of Justice and Safety